Since this is the first entry for this blog, it seems logical to begin at the beginning and go over what this office does and how you can make an appointment.
The services offered through Fellowships Advising are:
- One-on-one meetings to identify opportunities and develop and polish application materials
- Feedback on additional resources commonly requested in fellowship applications such as CVs and cover letters
- Support in preparing for interviews, meet-and-greets and dinners
- Advising in relation to developing mentoring relationships, asking for letters of recommendation, and maximizing academic opportunities on campus
- Follow me on twitter and Facebook to receive notifications of upcoming award competitions
- Visit the website for award search tools, writing resources, and other useful links
- Visit my office in the Writing Center on the 2nd floor of Tuttleman Learning Center for hard copy resources such as examples of successful applications
- I offer workshops for undergraduate and graduate students focused on finding opportunities, becoming a competitive candidate, navigating the application process, and developing graduate and professional school application materials
- Study Abroad and The Writing Center offer related workshops on topics such as funding study abroad and writing competitive applications for study abroad which will be listed on my website
- Applying for competitive awards will put you in contact with other students who share your drive, interests and goals and faculty who actively support undergraduate and graduate education; applying for awards is an opportunity not only to build your resume and win some money, but to expand your network of supporters and future collaborators
This office was introduced at Temple in January 2013. Over the past seven months, I've had a great time getting to know the amazing students who have applied for awards ranging from critical languages travel scholarships to transportation related urban planning scholarships!